Saturday, June 14, 2008

Just curious ... have you made any changes in your anticipation of high(er) gas prices??

As a family, we have done the following:

1. We are making bigger payments on our cars hoping to have them paid off and more disposable income.
2. Little things... for example, I am SICK of my nails and am no longer having them done ($60 a month).
3.Limited (even further) the number of stops for beverages or snacks (after baseball for Utah and such) in drive-thru's... so.... we bought more healthy food for home and are just choosing to eat at home as often as humanly possible.

We are coming up with more stuff to do to ensure we are prepared for the gas prices.. share your stories and we can get ideas from one another!

**Keisha had a great idea about trading in the SUV.. but Tod likes Allen's suggestion the best and is totally supportive of 'no weed eating to save gas!'. We have a motorless, push blade (circular) that we can use if we want to get serious about saving gas! That will lead to some fantastic mowing pictures!

** My sister Elizabeth's idea about no left turns (borrowed from UPS) is a great one... I HATE left turns anyway and this is another great way to avoid them.

3 comments:

Keisha said...

Well, the big thing we did was trade our SUV for a car (rather than a mini van like I wanted).

We also try to go places together more often. Before we were pretty bad at splitting errands and then meeting up some place.

I'm sure Allen would like to claim that not weed eating must save us over $100 a month. :)

Have you read my blog lately? We found out what we're having!!!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, we are making changes too.
1. Cancelled our rv trip to Minneapolis. The fuel alone would have been over $1000.00 It wasn'y any place we just really wanted to go.

2.UPS drivers now do not make any left turns on their routes. It is supposed to save the company millions. I hate left turns so I may try that. i did notice 3/10 of mpg were lost on my average while sitting at a red light. I,m thinking we need to eliminate all red lights.

3. Jim wants an electric car so I went online and found one I really liked. It had all 4 wheels and was really sporty. Jim said the $98,000 price tag was crazy and would not be cost effective! Sort of shopped on line at Saturn hybrids and others, even looked at mini coopers. Nothing gets great milage.

4.We do make fewer trips to town and the other day we walked half a block from the restaurant to the grocery store. I would walk alot of places if there were sidewalks. I would use public tranportation if it was available.

TheDorothyFamily said...

Ok, I've been thinking about this and we just discussed it again as a family last night.
1. I hang most of my laundry on the clothesline.
2. Nightlights off during the day.
3. A/C off when we're not home, shades pulled to help keep it cool.
4. Turn car off in long drive-thru lines. I read that one somewhere.
5. Thinking maybe shut computer down during the day when not home. Haven't implemented that one yet.
6. Only go to Sonic during "Happy Hour!"
7. Make a list so errands can be most effective without backtracking.
8. Signed up for Arvest "bill pay" online. I pay most online anyway but 2 had $2 "service charge" saving that and geesh, stamps are 42 cents for heavens sake!

Pray allot for favor and thank God for blessings like free movie tickets and extra hours at work.

What else?