Monday, June 9, 2008

Attack one task each day

I have a lot of tasks I want to complete this summer and I am easily overwhelmed and frustrated when thinking about the tasks as a whole.. so, a friend of mine named Sarah mentioned the 15 minute timer approach to tasks. You pick a task, set the timer for 15 minutes, and work ONLY on that task for 15 minutes. Though I don't follow it exactly, it is the spirit of my attack on tasks this summer. This is day three of my summer and here are my accomplishments:

1. Cleaned out, organized linen closet.
2. Cleaned out, organized Utah's room and closet. Tuesday did her room at the same time.
3. Cleaned out, organized mine and Tod's closet.
4. Gathered clothes from all the closets for the Salvation Army.
5. Cleaned out and scrubbed the refrigerator and freezer.
6. Registered for the PRAXIS test for ESOL endorsement.

Tomorrow Tuesday and I are attacking the storage room during the morning before it gets hot. It will take more than one day and more than one trip to the Salvation Army. Our goal is to AT LEAST reduce the size of the storage closet we require as a family while also not bringing ANYTHING home with us... either it stays in storage, goes to salvation army, or is trashed. I will update you tomorrow.

I will keep you posted on how effective this approach is when attacking lots of tasks!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I got the idea from flylady.net
It's an awesome inspirational site with lots of ideas for being better housekeepers...it all starts with a shiny kitchen sink and a pair of shoes.
Step One - Shine your sink before you go to bed.
Step Two - In the morning, dress to your shoes.
I'm hoping to get on the ball and get some stuff done as well this summer!!
PS: IF you sign up for the e-mail distribution list, it's kinda overwhelming...I delete most without reading but it's great for a visual reminder to do something.

Elizabeth said...

I have been on this mission since the first of the year. Our garage sale achieved my original goal of 19 boxes but everyday I find more stuff that I don't need. So I've started another box in the garage. Everytime I find something that needsd to go I put it in the box so when garage sale time is here or someone calls for a donation I'm ready. It is also a feel good for immediate gratification since you have a visual tangible result.

Next step and it's a big one is to start on the warehouse. Greg and Aaron have to help too because they have lots of stuff there. And little sis you also have a box of stuff and a cedar chest in there!

My sewing room and my dishes are places that need work but seem to be the hardest to eliminate.