Saturday, October 11, 2008

Grateful Journal



I have spent a lot of time this week completely stressed out and focused on the outcome of some assessments and classroom management changes my team has made.. and I think I may have lost sight of all the things I am grateful for and all the things that make my life ROCK!

1. My family... obviously everyone lists this as one of the things they are grateful for.. but I have decided to be very specific.

Tod is the most generous, hard working, and kind man I could ever imagine spending my life with.. his daily effort to make sure the family is safe, happy, and balanced is tremendous and something I hope I never take for granted. I find such peace and joy in each day we spend together.. I love you.

Utah is such an awesome young man.. he is working hard at school, athletics, and he is respectful and well mannered (at least when I am watching :-))! He has made good friends at KMS and we are excited that this year is going to have such a positive impact on Utah and his future!

Tuesday being in Fayetteville has been AWESOME! She comes home and hangs out with us on the weekends.. spends time with the little brother. She works hard at two jobs, saves money, has great friends, and makes sure she is always connected to her family. She is open and honest about her choices and decisions. We are so thankful and proud!

Hannah is SOOO far away and we miss her deeply. We want her happiness and hope that in the months to come she finds her way to the place she wants to be to begin working on her future. We are proud of her recent effort to save money, live on a budget, and start making long-term plans for her education. We wish she was closer to home.. but her happiness is more important than our wishes!

2. My job... I LOVE my job. I am so blessed to be at KMS and have such a hard working co-teacher. Karen has phenomenal ideas.. is open to new ideas.. and is willing to do whatever it takes to make a difference for the child as a whole. Our focus is on academics, of course, but as we work with these students and make connections, we realize that there is more to them than a student and reaching diverse aspects of a students life is a tremendous strategy to guide a student to success.

Also, the support system at KMS is exceptional. This being my second year at KMS, I am still learning the middle school model as it applies to Kirksey students. The team across the hall (Wildcats) has been willing to listen and guide as we have faced challenges unique to being such a small team. I am frequently found in the hall asking for direction from Teresa and Julia when faced with a student's behavior or classroom challenge that is new to me. Thanks ladies!

These ladies also put up with my son and his friends coming to my classroom after school each day to get a snack before practice. Utah seldom comes to see his mom and I love it when he does.. and each teacher seems to understand how important this year is to me and my relationship with my son. You are the best, KMS!

3. My friends.. wow, you listen and listen and listen... you rock... Jan, you are a prayer warrior that I cannot imagine my life without the blessing of your friendship, laugh, and prayer. Sarah.. you trust my judgement, listen, and discuss with me things that most people consider 'off limits' in friendship. Amy.. my goodness, I miss you and it was awesome seeing you this weekend! Elizabeth.. you are a true friend that I enjoy spending time with, sharing ideas with, and laughing... thank you for sharing Emmet with us! Vicki - we have missed you and am thrilled to get to see you more often now!

I have made so many new friends this year with Utah transferring to Kirksey... you guys ROCK! Thank you for opening your heart to a newcomer!

4. My extended family.. you guys are so far away.. but only a phone call away. I look forward to the upcoming deer season and spending time with each of you! Utah is so excited about getting his deer rifle ready for deer season... see you soon! We have to get that hitch on the truck before we leave, though!

5. Our health.. our healing.. our safety.. our peace... our sacrifice.. our role models.. our security.. so much to be grateful for... God is GREAT!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

"God is Great", ALL THE TIME!!

TheDorothyFamily said...

Awwww, thanks Cathy. But truthfully, I'M the one that is blessed! (along with my family)
We love you!


P.S. Sounds like you're having some more character building experiences?